I had 24 hours to recuperate before my next visitor, Brittney, arrived. Brittney and I taught together at the center for women refugees in Athens last fall. She arrived late Tuesday night and then we left early Wednesday morning to Meknes where I had to give a TEFL training to Peace Corps volunteers. Brittney was a PCV herself, so she enjoyed seeing this moment in their 2 year commitment from the perspective of having finished. It wasn't all work in Meknes though. After Ajita and I finished the training, the 3 of us went to a hammam/spa. It was the best hammam I have experienced!! We were so relaxed (and clean) afterward. We finally found the restaurant that I had read about online and ate a great dinner (except for the house salad which seemed to contain everything left in the refrigerator) with wine and good music (until they put on the country western CD.) Thursday, Brittney and I returned to Casa and she went to Hassan II Mosque. She took these great photos of the inside.
 |
| Meknes Medina |
 |
| Theresa & Brittney, Hassan II Mosque, Casa |
 |
| Hassan II Mosque, Casa |
 |
| Hassan II Mosque, Casa |
 |
| Women's Area above, Hassan II Mosque, Casa |
 |
| Hammam under Hassan II Mosque, Casa |
Friday, Brittney left for a desert trip out of Marrakech and my mom and 2 of her friends arrived. Over the weekend we went to Meknes and Fes. On Tuesday I had to work, but the 3 of them went to Rabat and a friend showed them around the capital. When they returned that evening, we watched the sunset over Casa from the rooftop bar at Sofitel and then had dinner at Le Petit Rocher across the bay from the mosque. Brittney arrived late in the evening with stories of her trip.
Wednesday, after visiting the mosque, we all met up to do some last minute shopping in the medina before Brittney left for Italy. We had lunch with a colleague of mine from the university where I teach. Thursday morning, my mom and her friends left at 5 am to catch an early plane back to Paris and then to the US. I have been recuperating since then, catching up on work and chores. However, it's a beautiful day here, so I am off to the Corniche to spend time near the ocean (my bit of nature in this huge city.)
 |
Nancy, Mom, and Judy with water seller in traditional costume
in front of the Casa medina |
 |
| early morning departure |
No comments:
Post a Comment